Certain cat accessories are indeed essential for the proper care of your cat or kitten. So how do you select the perfect cat accessory? You will find here tips to help you choose the right pet accessory.
The good news is that you don’t need to spend a great deal of money to buy these accessories. Many of these cat items can be found at affordable prices and at any pet store, online or offline.
Pet accessories also make great and practical gifts for pet owners. Any cat lover will certainly welcome a set of cat accessories.
In the following section you will find information on a few essential cat items.
A few essential cat accessories
Cat litter box or tray: This is a must. I rather favor covered cat litter boxes because they afford privacy to my cats. However, a cat tray is a good option too. If you prefer to get a cat tray or litter pan, make sure to give your cat some privacy by placing the litter pan behind a screen or in a secluded spot.
Cat grooming supplies: These are very important items, and every cat owner needs to have them:
- Brush: Brushing your cat on a daily basis will help prevent hairballs. Besides, it is a great way to spend quality time and bond with your kitty.
- Claw clipper: If you have a cat, you know how fast their claws grow; therefore, it is important to trim them on a regular basis. Trimming your kitty’s claws will help reduce damage to your furniture too.
- Toothbrush: Proper dental care is important to help keep your cat healthy. Dry food may help clean your kitty’s teeth, but she still needs a thorough cleaning to prevent plaque and other dental problems. Consult your vet for more information on dental care.
A toothbrush is indeed an essential pet accessory. Fortunately, you can find toothbrushes and toothpaste especially designed for cats! By the way, never use human toothpaste on your cat.
Now, how do you brush a cat's teeth?, you ask. When I first got a toothbrush for my cats I didn’t have a clue as to how to brush their teeth. I didn’t even know there were toothbrushes especially made for cats! My cats hated the toothbrush and fought it all the time.
Then, I heard someone say that the first thing you need to do is teach your cat to accept the toothbrush. Never force it on your cat. Let him get familiarized with it. Show it to him, let him lick it and smell it. To make it easier, put catnip on the toothbrush and let your cat enjoy it. I'm putting in practice some of these tips, but to be honest my kitties still fight the toothbrush.
An alternative to regular toothbrushes is a finger toothbrush. I'll try it with my cats and let you know the results.
Cat Carrier: Great for travel or just for a quick visit to the vet. There are many different types of cat carriers to choose from: cardboard, soft and hard cat carriers.
Cardboard carriers are mainly used for kittens and for quick visits to the vet. Soft carriers are very popular and affordable. Hard carriers are great for long trips and for heavier cats. If you plan to travel by plane, choose a strong and sturdy carrier. In addition, make sure that the carrier you choose is approved by the airline.
Other important pointers when choosing a cat carrier:
- It must have enough space for your cat to lie down and move around.
- It should be made of a long-lasting material.
- It must be safe.
- If you're buying a hard carrier, the latch must lock properly.
- It must provide enough ventilation.
For additional tips on choosing the right carrier visit our cat carriers page.
Cat Scratching Post: For many of us, this is a must, a necessary cat accessory. Cats enjoy scratching and they will scratch almost anything, especially your precious furniture. A scratching post might indeed save your furniture.
There are many types of scratching posts in the market. Many even come with toys attached. If you are handy and like to build things you can make your own cat scratching post.
Cat bowls (for food and water): It’s a good idea to have as many food bowls as you have cats. My cats are very particular when it comes to their food and eating habits. Most of the time they respect each other’s food; other times they eat from the other’s plate. However, it is a good idea to have a plate or bowl for each cat.
Water is a very important part of any cat’s diet, so ensure that your cat has plenty of fresh water throughout the day. Cats love drinking from flowing water, so a cat water fountain is a great way for your kitty to get a fresh supply of water everyday. Learn more about cat water bowls here.
Other cat accessories you might need
Cat Toys: Cats, particularly kittens, will enjoy a cat toy or two. There are so many options to choose from: rattles, balls, mice, and catnip toys.
Cat bed or mat: Your cat might like sleeping with you but cats also need a cozy spot they can relax and sleep in. Even a soft blanket will do.
Pet ID tag: An ID tag will help you locate your cat if he or she ever gets lost. An ID tag might even save your pet’s life. If your cat has any medical condition, make sure the tag has the most important information.
- Cat food and treats
- Cat Litter
Cat Water Bowls
Cat Food Bowls
Leave Cat Accessories and Return to Unique Cat Gifts
Return to Home Page
- Give the suggested cat accessories as individual gifts, depending on your friend’s needs, or
- Give a gift basket filled with cat accessories! You can even throw in a book about cat care or cat health.
- Cat accessories for your home: Looking for something whimsical to give? What about a cat-themed shower curtain and bathroom accessories? Visit our cat home decor page for more ideas.